Little Luke "Skywalker"

Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Birth of Little "Skywalker" - Ep 3 - The Pushing

Slightly more than a year ago in a hospital not that far away....

The mid-wives started to lay out equipments and put on gloves for the delivery. J was still complaining of pain while breathing in-and-out through the oxygen mask. I was holding her hands to calm her down. I could sense the tension in the room and finally know why giving birth is akin to walking on a fine line between life and death (for two lives).

From the word “Push!”, J started the miracle of birth. I helped to support her back while she was breathing heavily while pushing our son out. She was doing fine for the first 15 minutes and the midwife said she could see the head already. She even asked me to have a peek but all I could see was some black hair amidst all the blood and some other fluids.

Our problem started when our son stopped coming out although J was trying as hard as she can to push. The doctor did said something about J was pushing the wrong way. Hell! Why can’t they give the proper instructions way before the delivery?? How could J listen to anything now when she is tortured with so much pain?? The midwife warned J to keep pushing or else the baby won’t be able to cry when he is out.

It was 30 minutes already and our son is still stucked between J’s pelvic bones. On fearing the little one will lack the oxygen to breath, a few doctors came and help with the pushing. One of them even pressed so hard on J’s enlarged stomach to force the baby out. After 10 minutes or so, our son finally came out at 12.23am (6/7/2005). From my view, he bears an uncanny resemblence of the little alien that Jay (Will Smith) helped deliver in the movie “Men In Black”.

Our problems did not end there because no matter how the doctors try to wake the little guy, he was still not awaked and not crying! Furthermore, his skin colour was very pale compared to a normal baby (which is supposed to be pink). I did not know the severity of the problem until I saw the doctors rushed our son to the next room and began doing some stuff on him. I was not allowed to watch, but there was no door, so I could see them. J, however had no idea what was going on. She was told to rest while the midwife completes the clean-up of her womb.

I was asked to wait outside the room. I could see the doctors were worried in their efforts to bring our son from his “sleep”. Our son did “cried” a bit in a weak sound (according to one of the doctor). After some time of cleaning him up and clearing his lungs, he was rushed to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), which is located next to the delivery hall. My mother (retired nurse) followed them to NICU while I stayed with J.

After J was cleaned up, she asked me about our son, but I did not know what to tell her…

continue to Ep 4 - The Truth?

Jotted down by Egghead :: at around 9/15/2005 11:00:00 AM :: and invited 0 Blah(s):
0 Blah(s) by:

Blah Something...

Share