Little Luke "Skywalker"

Friday, August 12, 2005

Password Disclosure Policy?? OMG!!

I have a friend who just asked for my advice on the latest policy implemented in her office. It seems that the IT guy (boss's son for that matter) has asked everyone to disclose their Windows login password and Email password to him in a form he given out under the pretext of some standardization exercise!

I must admit, I am absolutely a top-of-the-line liar myself if I were to be "forced" into a bad situation myself, or when I have the devil working behind my back. Before my friend told me about his official intention of implementing the policy, I already told her what will be the excuse that he might be using. And BINGO! He did exactly what I had in mind.

"EVIL MINDS THINK ALIKE AS WELL!"

Given the boss's son bad record of intruding other people's privacy, I have advised my friend to write down fake passwords. She instead told me that she planned to tell him that she forgot the password. My evil mind spins a few rounds and I told her that if she did that, he will do a reset on all her password and subsequently force her to write down the new password as well. Few minutes later, she came back with exactly the same answer from him. Talk about EVIL!

Actually, I am quite familiar with her office network system as I was brought in by their boss to set up their system. The one thing I failed to implement was the policy for mandatory password change every few months, similar to what I have in my office because I think they will not like it. But I do go to their office now and then to check on their system, I do not need to go through the boss's son. I outrank him!

So in order to find out what kind of dirty scheme his son is planning behind his father's back, I asked my friend to put down fake passwords. If the son asked, she will say that is her mistake for the mix-up and have every excuse to query him for attempting to login using her ID and password. Hopefully this will be enough to cause a brouhaha enough to attract the attention of his father without my intervention.

Otherwise, I will definitely have to alert the boss!

What do you think?

Jotted down by Egghead :: at around 8/12/2005 10:50:00 AM :: and invited 9 Blah(s):


9 Blah(s) by: Blogger NickTay, Blogger Egghead, Blogger Tiensoon, Blogger Jason Lioh, Blogger Dzof, Blogger Egghead, Blogger Willwolf, Blogger Buaya69, Blogger 5xmom.com,

Blah Something...

Share