Little Luke "Skywalker"

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sushi King At Selayang Hospital??

As I mentioned in my previous post, J and I decided to bring Little Skywalker to Selayang Hospital for a thorough check-up as advised by our pediatrician (who live in JB). We fear that our son might have kena dengue fever of some sort. The following is a detail account of the hospital visit...

J could not make it for the doctor's appointment because her boss was not in a good mood, and also she is already late for work yesterday. My parents brought Little Skywalker to the hospital at 2pm while I arrive 20 minutes later from my workplace. The nurses called out Little Skywalker's name the moment I arrived (what a perfect timing as I hate all the waiting and waiting). I carry the little fella (who still has quite a bit of temperature) into the consultation room together with my mum.

The doctor asked if he had any cough or running nose the past few days, which he didn't. He didn't had any rashes or red spots on his body as well, which suggest he is not having measles or chicken pox. The doctor checked his throat as well as his ears for any infections but couldn't found any either. Hence, the doctor could not positively diagnose our son for any specific illness but persistent fever itself. She also pointed out that the possibility of him contracting dengue is very low as he did not show much of dengue's symptoms. But just to be sure, she ordered a urine and blood test.

After the consultation, we proceeded to take Little Skywalker's urine sample (or 童子尿) and later proceeded to the procedure room to take his blood. That was the same room we went to the last time I came with Little Skywalker for one of his immunization shot when he was about 6-months old. He was cool about it then. However, he was terrified as soon as we enter the room this time round. I guess he still remembers the horrific experience of having his blood taken the last time he was here. One of the younger nurses poked his meaty hands and legs all over and couldn't find the right spot to draw blood.

Since he was crying already, I didn't want his blood taken immediately. I put him on one of those rocking wooden-horse toys that was in the procedure room. Hmmm... I guess toddlers do cry a lot in that room. After few minutes on it, Little Skywalker stopped crying and I decided it was time to do it. My mum held him tightly in the correct way since she was trained to do so, while I held his legs from kicking. He started crying and yelling violently as though he knew what was coming! The whole process lasted a few minutes, but it was like a whole lifetime for me as I see his blood flowing out slowly from his arm into the syringe. The sound of his yelling can be heard all over the hospital I guess.

After the needle is taken off, Little Skywalker immediately reached out his hands for me, as if asking me to save him from his "evil" grandmother. I took him into my arms immediately while my mum applied pressure to the spot where his blood was taken. The good thing is, he was already sweating all over after all the crying, yelling and struggling. That helps a lot in bringing down his feverish temperature.

We came out from the procedure room and I brought him around to look at some toys in order to calm him down while my parents proceeded to the pharmacy to get his medications (PCM and multi-vitamins). To their horror, they got a number "3267" while the current number was "3201" as printed. My father started the waiting process while my mum went to get a hold of some dressing kits for my father (he accidentally cut his finger while cooking). Meanwhile, I played the "singing human cradle" again and nurse the little guy to sleep. He slept within 15 minutes while listening to "You are my sun shine" sung softly by yours truly repeatedly.

After half an hour, my parents decided to bring Little Skywalker home first as he was already asleep. I will stay behind to wait for the "calling" for my number. Can you believe it? It took a total of 90 minutes for my number to be called!! It's worse than KL General Hospital where there are even more patients. I seriously doubt the efficiency of the pharmacy staff in Selayang Hospital. They actually copied Sushi King's conveyor belt idea for delivering the medicines from the storage room to the pharmacists at the counter. Little do they know, the slow moving machine was slowing down the entire department, not to mention the obviously understaffed workforce who are working behind the scene.

It was almost 5pm already when I got the medicines and headed home.

Our son's fever actually came down and maintained low after the hospital visit. His temperature reading was below 38 degrees for the entire evening. His appetite had improved but he looked quite tired. I guess it must be the recovery process that is tiring to him. We try to nurse him to rest and sleep so his body can fight stronger, but he only managed to sleep around 10pm. Fortunately, he slept like a log throughout the whole night. J and I woke up to check his temperature a few times throughout the night to make sure his temperature did not rise again.

His fever was almost gone when we woke up in the morning. He did not even cried when we left him at my parents' place. We hope he will be fully recovered by the end of the day.

J and I also wish to take this chance to thank everyone for their well-wishes and prayers throughout these few days. The least we could do is to share our experience with everyone, hopefully it will serve as a guide on "what-to-do-if-it-were-to-happen-to-me" later.

p/s: J told my parents to bring along Little Skywalker to the pharmacy next time as we would be given a faster treatment when they see the baby. Useful tips for all parents who will be visiting Selayang Hospital in the future.

Jotted down by Egghead :: at around 9/21/2005 09:37:00 AM :: and invited 7 Blah(s):


7 Blah(s) by: Blogger Annie, Blogger Loc Kee, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Lazymama, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Egghead, Anonymous Anonymous,

Blah Something...

Share